Re: Problems with Dell 510C and modprobe

On Thursday 21 March 2002 21:08, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 21:11, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >> But this is not an Inspiron.  I'm not sure whether this advice applies
> >> to Latitudes.  If it _was_ an Inspiron, the whole problem is APM - which
> >> isn't supported.  I don't know whether Lars' machine uses APM or ACPI.
> >
> > Ack. I didn't real carefully enough, sorry.
> >
> > But APM as well as ACPI is supported on Inspirons AFAIK - or at least it
> > works.
>
> It doesn't work at all (except that 'halt' actually completely shuts down
> the machine, rather than leaving it at the "Power Off" prompt) on the
> Inspiron 2500, and I understood it not to work on 4xxx series machines.  It
> probably works, at least partly, on 8100s.

I run Debian on a Inspiron 4000, and APM _does_ work. It's only a 2.2 kernel
though, for there is afaik no support for winmodems in 2.4, and this model
has such a funny device. Anyway, 'halt' shuts the machine down, 'supend'
suspends it (to memory, since I accidently deleted the suspend-partition and
can't get it back on), closing the lid suspends it too, etc.
Even the battery monitor shows usefull and surprisingly reliable data.

No idea about the original problem though. Seems like modprobe is looking for
a setting it can't get due to a broken implementation of something (ACPI?).
Maybe it would be a good idea to find out the settings once the module is
loaded and pass them as parameter?