Re: kernel

Link M Dupont wrote:
> Personally, I can't stand the debian kernel images and the way it configures
>  lilo so i do all that by hand. I download the source from

Debian doesn't configure _anything_ you don't want. You're going to way
more trouble than needed. If you don't want Debian to configure lilo,
say NO,
when it asks. But if you have a working lilo, you should never have a
problem. You might want to avoid using names "vmlinuz" and "vmlinuz.old"
for any images you want to keep apart from the debian-made kernels, but
that's the only issue I can see.

> kernel.org, and build the kernels myself, and configure lilo myself. but
> if you look through dselect, there are different debian images

dselect is pretty old technology. apt-get...(or for this particular
purpose apt-cache search)

I'd be interested to know why so many people responded that they use
make-kpkg but with sources from kernel.org.  Why?  What's wrong, in your
opinions, with the debian kernel-source images?
--
derek