Re: Inspiron 8000 IrDA problem

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 16:09, I wrote:
> When you have successfully set this up, you can start using software
> that works with irda. The device to use is /dev/ttyS3. Remember, in
> Debian, the serial ports are owned by the dialout group. In order to
> allow use of such a port to a user, add the user in question to the
> dialout group with 'adduser <user> dialout'.
>

> Did I miss anything?

I did.

The device to use in your applications is apparently _not_ /dev/ttyS3.
At least, in gnome-pilot, the Palm syncing software for Gnome, the
device is
  /dev/ircomm0
and if I haven't lost track of everything this is the device to use
elsewhere as well.

I have to admit I can't answer why, because while I know that irattach
basically ties the irda stack to the serial code somehow, I'm not
familiar with the details.

fabbe