Re: Inspiron 8000 IrDA problem

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 16:58, Joris wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 04:09:32PM +0200, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 14:43, Robert Waldner wrote:
> To whoever posted about that meastro3 module loading after irda stuff, my
> thousandfold thanks!
>
> I belive this is the key why I haven't been able to get my irda working
> (both sir and fir) but once...
>
> --
>   Greetings
>   Joris
>   joris@linux.be  UIN: 25569167
>   PGP is currently out-of-use

I direct the credits to Robert Waldner who was the first to answer my
question.

While there are still some issues to be investigated, Robert provided
the instructions that actually got this working on my machine. So thanks
Robert!

Questions that remain:
- Has the module loading order issue been fixed in 2.4.18 as suggested
  by Frank Trenkamp? I shall try this very soon.
- Can FIR be made working, for example by using the patch posted by
  Robert? I shall try this later.
- Why is gnome-pilot so buggy? It keeps crashing on me all the time...
  I shall file bug reports... ;)

Right.

BTW, I just realized that there are lots of HOWTO:s for Dell laptops and
the i8000 and i8100 in particular, but they all lack something and they
sometimes provide conflicting information (probably due to differing
BIOS or kernel versions etc). I was thinking of gathering all this
information to one place and sorting out what works and what doesn't,
why and when. Would anyone be interested in helping me out?

If so, the first thing I would like to do is to identify a list of items
that need to be adressed when installing Debian on one of these
machines, such as "sound", "irda", "apm" and so on. So I would
appreciate it if you sent me an url to your favourite Dell Inspiron
8000/8100 installation HOWTO and a list of items that the HOWTO covers.

Cheers,
fabbe