Re: Inspiron 8000 IrDA problem

Hein Roehrig wrote:
> Ok, I tried again several combinations and no matter what I do, IR
> stops functioning (as indicated by irdadump) as soon as I modprobe
> maestro3. What I did is change the IR port to FIR and COM4, remove any
> lines in /etc/serial.conf, boot with/without apm and maestro3. My
> kernel is 2.4.18 based on the stock Debian kernel + IPsec as a module
> + CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC and CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC disabled +
> CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII. My BIOS is version A07. My irda.conf is
>
> IRDADEV=/dev/ttyS3
> DONGLE=none
> DISCOVERY=-s
> ENABLE=yes # if you don't need to start irattach, set "no"

Your irda.conf seems fine, but I noticed that the latest BIOS for the
i8100 is A10, maybe you could try upgrading and see what happens?

Dell has the BIOS available for download on their support pages.

Other than that, and changing the coloured pads (if you have the red
ones it might upset your computer - use a neutral dark colour for best
results), I can't think of anything else right now.

> One thing I was wondering about: it says in the BIOS that audio is
> full duplex but I cannot change it --- could this have to do with my
> problem?

That's right, I have the same. I can't disable full duplex either so I
suppose it's not relevant to this problem. And if it is, well, you can't
disable it so you're stuck. But no, I don't think it has anything to do
with this.

>From what I've been able to understand, the issue is with PCI bus master
capabilities in the maestro3 driver and chipset vs the irda chipset.

Hope you get a little further with this information.
Cheers,
fabbe