Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro 420cdt without floppy

On Friday 15 March 2002 03:17 pm, you wrote:
>     "Jaye" == Jaye Inabnit ke6sls <ke6sls@cox.net> writes:
>
>     Greetings:
>
>     Jaye> I just received this laptop for cheep.  It has 40mb Ram(max)
>     Jaye> & 1.2gb hd.  The only problem getting linux on it is that it
>     Jaye> has no floppy.  I tried to boot using it's cdrom drive, but
>     Jaye> the prehistoric bios doesn't look for cdrom, only
>     fdd> hdd or hdd>fdd.
>
>     Jaye> Looking around for a floppy, I found resale sites wanting
>     Jaye> over $100 for a silly floppy drive!  That is more than I
>     Jaye> paid for the old laptop.  On Ebay, I found several, and they
>     Jaye> have a small cord with an odd connector.  These are going
>     Jaye> for $2 to $10 and I wonder if there is a way to learn which
>     Jaye> one would fit this laptop.  Toshiba doesn't make it
>     Jaye> available which fits what.
>
> I hope you have some version of Windows on your machine.  If you are
> prepared to install Linux without a floppy look in the Debian
> installation guide. It is possible to use LOADLIN to boot Linux from
> Windows I believe.
>
> Be sure to look at Toshiba's web site for BIOS upgrades, though how
> you can upgrade the BIOS without a floppy is an interesting question,
> unless you have windows. A newer BIOS might allow you to boot from a
> CD ROM (since it should just show up as a different IDE device).
>
> I got a Toshiba Tecra (48M/1.2G) for real cheap ($1) some time ago and
> I had a bear of a time getting a PCMCIA and/or a D-Link ethernet card
> working in the docking station. I found a lot of very, very useful
> information on the Toshiba web site including a BIOS upgrade, and very
> detailed user documentation, albeit in very odd formats that required
> me to use MS Windows. This is even though the machine in question was
> first released about 6 years ago. The Tecra now works (though I had to
> patch the SCSI driver to work around a broken PCI bus, hey, it was
> only $1 and another $8 for an old SCSI CD ROM drive :-)
>
> Cheers!
> Shyamal

Thanks to Heather, Charlie, & Shyamal for the feedback.  I wasn't as clear as
I should have been.

Currently, win95 runs fine, albeit slow.  The pcmcia is working as well as
all the other goodies on the laptop.

Yes, Toshiba does have a BIOS update, but it does require the image to be
copied then booted via a bootable floppy.  I don't have floppy > I don't
update BIOS :)

That is the quandry.  I realize I can use loadlin via DOS, but I have that
nagging fear that something will go amiss, and here I have a useless laptop
without recourse.

That is why I wanted to learn more about the external/internal floppies.  I
can get a factory floppy drive, $139 plus ship & tax.  That is not an option.
I will only buy a working laptop for that price (yeah, I'm cheap).

I really appreciate all your kind words.  I might try to install the hd into
another working Toshiba, and see if that would work.  Then I would have an
option if loadlin goes sour.  Yet, I would still like to identify useable vs
non-useable floppy drives :)

thanks again, tatah

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.