Re: What's worng with ALSA???

Hubert Chan wrote:

[...]

Max> Everything compiled beautifully, I installed both of the packages.
Max> Because alsaconf was run before installation, alsa-modules detected
Max> a /etc/alsa/modutils/0.5 file at instalation, and seems to have
Max> copied it to /etc/asla/modutils/0.9. Then i've read somewhere that
Max> the installation misses a link from /etc/modutils/alsa to
Max> /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9, so I made one.

You may need to enable various plug-and-play options in the kernel too.

What's in your /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9?

Did you run update-modules after you made the symlink?  update-modules
updates the /etc/modules.conf file.

Max> After a reboot everything seems to be working, the /etc/init.d/asla
Max> deamon says it's loading my trident module, but lsmod doesn't show
Max> jack... not until i do modprobe snd-trident.

Try modprobe snd-card-trident.

Also, try running dmesg, and see if it says anything enlightening.

Well, I've solved the problem, at least to some extent.Alsa now loads at bootup and even unloads at suspend, but neither esd-alsa0 or alsaplayer-alsa seem to see any acceptable sound devices on start. The OSS-compatability layer works very nicely however, but wonder what's wrong with my /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 ? Here it is:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.3b ---
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-trident
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0 options snd-card-trident snd_index=0 snd_id="SiS7018" snd_pcm_channels=4 snd_wavetable_size=4 snd_enable=1

I had to change stuff that alsaconf had added here, however, that are specifical parameters for the Trident DX/NX card. What else is wrong with it?

Thanks
Max
--
	/"\