Re: Need advice installing Debian on Inspiron 2500

From: "Preben Randhol" <randhol@pvv.org>

> Barb <bjp@bejay.com> wrote on 02/02/2002 (14:23) :
> > I have a 2500 and I have been running Mandrake because Debian (and
several
> > other distros I've tried) lock up on boot up at md (whatever that is).
I'd
> > love to know what that is and how to make it go away.

It took me a few tries to find a Debian kernel that worked out of the box -
kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-idepci did, as did kernel-image-2.4.16-586.  The
2.2.19 kernel is the one that's available in the idepci distro.  As somebody
else pointed out, the 'md' problem is raid.  So once you have a system,
upgrading the kernel is pretty simple as long as you leave out raid.

> > About the only advice I can give is for me, with the i815, the best I
can
> > do in X is 15 bit color. 16 bit just locks up.
>
> I also noticed problems with 16 so I run 24 bit.

I never saw problems with 16-bit, but then I started at 24 :-)

derek