Re: problem with freecom cdrom drive (USB)

At 07:44 14.11.01 -0800, you wrote:

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:59:25AM +0100, Benedikt Grundmann wrote:

> I recently bought debian 3.0 (pre) from Lehmanns (a German bookstore). I
> installed it on my laptop.  (Fujitsu - Siemens  Lifebook).  I already have
> Windows 98 installed and I just copied the first CD of the 4 CDs onto a
> windows partition.  After that I did a regular install using a bootdisk
> from that windows partition.
>
> The problem is the cdrom drive is an external one made by freecom connected
> to the laptop with a USB Cable also made by freecom.  (As far as I know
> this cable has its own controller) I wasn't able to get it run with one of
> the shipped precompiled kernels, so I compiled a kernel myself 2.4.9-686.
>
> I included scsi support, scsi cdrom support, usb support, uhci support ( I
> tested both drivers) usb storage support and freecom usb/atapi bridge
> support.  Now after inserting the usb cable the cdrom was recognized and
> installed under /dev/sr0. Mount worked and I was able to use ls, cd but as > soon as I read one of the files -- For examples Packages.gz -- The message
> freecom reset called appears.

I must say I'm not an expert, but I have been using a USB cdrom (actually
cdrw), and I'm a little surprised that yours is on /dev/sr0.  I don't know
what that device corresponds to, but perhaps you could try /dev/scd0 (which
should be the first scsi cd-rom drive, and the usb drive pretends to be a
cd-rom).  This is only a guess, though, but I figured I'd point it out
since it's a difference between what you did and what I did.

I just had a look at usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt and it says that /dev/sr0 is exactly the same device as /dev/scd0, so that does not make any difference in theory and unfortunately this time theory and practice behave the same way.

Has anybody tried a freecom cdrom device (USB) ? And could he or she mail me the kernel configuration used ? Please !

> Afther that experience I installed a new kernel (from the internet ormal
> tar.gz not debianized) 2.4.14 same configuration.  The problem remains but
> now it already starts when mounting the cd.

Hmmm.  This is a kernel I was using until recently, and had no problems...

> I believe this is a bug in the driver but I'm not sure which one though I
> decided to post my problem in this mailing list.  Please if anybody knows
> anything helpfull tell me.  Even if it's just the mailing-list I should
> post it.

I'm afraid I may not have been very helpful, but perhaps switching to
/dev/scd0 will do the trick.  If not, then I'm at a loss.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/