problem with freecom cdrom drive (USB)

Hi Folks,

I recently bought debian 3.0 (pre) from Lehmanns (a German bookstore). I installed it on my laptop. (Fujitsu - Siemens Lifebook). I already have Windows 98 installed and I just copied the first CD of the 4 CDs onto a windows partition. After that I did a regular install using a bootdisk from that windows partition.

The problem is the cdrom drive is an external one made by freecom connected to the laptop with a USB Cable also made by freecom. (As far as I know this cable has its own controller) I wasn't able to get it run with one of the shipped precompiled kernels, so I compiled a kernel myself 2.4.9-686.

I included scsi support, scsi cdrom support, usb support, uhci support ( I tested both drivers) usb storage support and freecom usb/atapi bridge support. Now after inserting the usb cable the cdrom was recognized and installed under /dev/sr0. Mount worked and I was able to use ls, cd but as soon as I read one of the files -- For examples Packages.gz -- The message freecom reset called appears. The cdrom drive still runs (it's rather noisy) but doesn't transmit any more (at least the LED of the cable stops blinking). AND the process who does the reading (cat, dselect, apt-cdrom .. ) stops and cannot be killed (even kill -s 9 doesn't work). Of course unmount doesn't work, either. Even when I plug the usb drive off, the problem remains. Once I even got kernel panic the debug message said something about not being able to follow a NULL pointer, unfortunately I was in a hurry and haven't had the time to copy it.

Afther that experience I installed a new kernel (from the internet ormal tar.gz not debianized) 2.4.14 same configuration. The problem remains but now it already starts when mounting the cd.

I believe this is a bug in the driver but I'm not sure which one though I decided to post my problem in this mailing list. Please if anybody knows anything helpfull tell me. Even if it's just the mailing-list I should post it.

Benedikt

P.S:
(Sorry for my english I'm not a native english speaker)