Re: cpu speed measurement

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 10:16:20AM +0100, Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio F212K. My BIOS has an option to reduce CPU speed if
> the computer is idle. I want to try the option to see if it works with
> linux and to save some battery power. Does anyone know a programm to
> measure the cpu speed or even better the clockrate? The KDE control
> center shows the CPU speed but it always showed me a rate of 172 MHz
> (the computer has a 650 MHz CPU) when I turned the reduce CPU speed
> option in the Bios on. But I am not really sure if it really measures
> the CPU speed dynamically because I tryed to watch some divx movies
> and play quake2 and it actually worked and I dont think 172 MHz are
> enough for that:-) Any tips are really appretiated.

Use x86info -mhz.  It shows my cpu speed going up and down, even when I
have speedstep disabled.  As I understand it, it slows down when the kernel
sends idle instructions.  If you want to make sure your cpu is running full
tilt, I'd recommend running a compile (maybe a kernel, which is nice and
big).  With speedstep on (and running on battery) that always pins me at
500 mhz, and I see 700 mhz while compiling without speedstep.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/