Re: Installing programs from a none-debian CD or from the Harddisk

----- Original Message -----
From: "Axel Bojer" <axelb@start.no>
To: "Mike Alborn" <malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 1:23 AM
Subject: Re: Installing programs from a none-debian CD or from the Harddisk

   Mike Alborn answeared me this:

     "Hi,
     apt will only work if the source media is correctly fomatted
    (ie., just putting some .deb files on a CD will *not* mean that apt can
          make sense of the files.) However, have you tried using 'dpkg --install
    /path/filename'? This allows you to bypass apt and install packages
    directly. Keep in mind, though, that like rpm, dpkg cannot automatically
    track dependencies for you; you'll have to do that manually as well.

    HTH,

    On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 12:39:32AM +0100, Axel Bojer wrote:

    [snip]

>     -tar xjf /cdrom/Desktop/KDE22/packagename.tar.gz (I typed the packagename
> were this is written). This point only partially worked; my machine wouldnt
> execute the "j" command, but I managed without it. (tar xf ....).

     Just to be pedantic, the 'j' option to tar tells tar that you
    are extracting a bzip2 archive, however, your filename extension
    indicates that the archive has been gzipp'ed. This might explain why the
    'j' option doesn't work.

To answear back: Youre right, I wrote the wrong ending, it should have been bz2, otherwise it would have been as you said. I think I already tried the dpkg --install, im not quite sure. Ill try it once more, to be sure! thanks!
-Axel