Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

I.M.Ciobica@TUe.nl said:
> What about simply running linux with no vindoz? If I need vindoz
> (which I don't think so), I run citrix (client) and I connect to  a
> vindoz NT (citrix server). But I have no ideea what I can run there
> and I could not run on linux. Maybe msie?

Good for you if you don't know what anyone could need Windows for!

Apart from Word, and Powerpoint which I use because my business colleagues use
it and I often need to edit documents cooperatively,

there are very few and limited Electrical Engineering tools available from
Linux. I know geda, oregano, chipmunk, ikarus verilog, and there are some
commercial ones, but nothing that is as easy to use as Proteus or Orcad, and
nothing that covers the whole range of tasks I need.

In particular, when compiling to FPGAs, most of the time one needs to use the
fitters the manufacturers deliver, and they run on Windows (or on Solaris as
the exception). The manufacturers give the fitters often away, because they
want to make money with chips, not software. However the cost of this software
is enormous, and therefore the manufacturers have little interest to make
versions for Linux too - at least as long as they feel they have to provide
them for Windows. I could imagine it would cost less to develop for Linux only.

I imagine in other engineering disciplines except software engineering it is a
similar story.

- Josef