Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

Electronics Engineering programs are one of the things that makes Linux
outshine Windows...

True Windows does have a good number of Electronics EDA programs...but by and
large the more powerful apps of this nature run on UNIX and Linux.

On 04-Dec-2001 Josef Dalcolmo wrote:

> I.M.Ciobica@TUe.nl said:
>> What about simply running linux with no vindoz? If I need vindoz
>> (which I don't think so), I run citrix (client) and I connect to  a
>> vindoz NT (citrix server). But I have no ideea what I can run there
>> and I could not run on linux. Maybe msie?
>
> Good for you if you don't know what anyone could need Windows for!
>
> Apart from Word, and Powerpoint which I use because my business colleagues
> use
> it and I often need to edit documents cooperatively,
>
> there are very few and limited Electrical Engineering tools available from
> Linux. I know geda, oregano, chipmunk, ikarus verilog, and there are some
> commercial ones, but nothing that is as easy to use as Proteus or Orcad, and
> nothing that covers the whole range of tasks I need.
>
> In particular, when compiling to FPGAs, most of the time one needs to use the
> fitters the manufacturers deliver, and they run on Windows (or on Solaris as
> the exception). The manufacturers give the fitters often away, because they
> want to make money with chips, not software. However the cost of this
> software
> is enormous, and therefore the manufacturers have little interest to make
> versions for Linux too - at least as long as they feel they have to provide
> them for Windows. I could imagine it would cost less to develop for Linux
> only.
>
> I imagine in other engineering disciplines except software engineering it is
> similar story.
>
> - Josef
>

> --

Arlen Carlson <arlencarlson@yahoo.com>

Q:      Why did the germ cross the microscope?
A:      To get to the other slide.

This message was sent by XFmail (Linux)

                        -o)
                        /\\