RE: Recognizing Kernel Update to 2.4.12

Hey doc: I think we were all assuming a slightly higher level of linux-ness
than you've got.

I'd highly, highly suggest that you read all the docs online before you go
into kernel compilation, particularly the ones about lilo (or grub) and
booting to an alternate kernel-- you'll really want to be able to boot if
you forget to include, say, IDE support, or your filesystem support or
something like that.

So, it looks like you've done some sort of 'apt-get install
kernel-source-2.4.somethingorother', or downloaded the source from
kernel.org, or somewhere else.

You need to untar the source:

root@hostname:/usr/src# tar -xvzf <kernel-source-whatever-filename>

a .gz extension means it's been compressed with gzip. A tar extention means
that the file is part of a unix Tape ARchive. A tgz extension means it's a
tar archive that's been compressed with gzip.

After that, change the directory name to 'linux', so that your uncompressed,
untarred sources are in /usr/src/linux:

root@hostname:/usr/src# mv <kernel-source-dirname> linux

root@hostname:/usr/src# cd linux

Now, read the README files in there. It's going to say some stuff about
make, make modules, make modules_install--- note that debian and make-kpkg
does a bunch of this for you. What you NEED to do, however, is one of:

root@hostname:/usr/src# make config
root@hostname:/usr/src# make menuconfig
root@hostname:/usr/src# make xconfig

config is plain text, and kind of annoying, but it always works. menuconfig
is ncurses-based (you'll need the libncurses5-dev package), and sort of like
the debian install. xconfig will only work if you have x running, but it's
nice if you like to use your mouse.

go through all the menus. Read the helpfiles. RTFM. Have a web browser
handy.

Then, finally:

root@hostname:/usr/src# make-kpkg clean
root@hostname:/usr/src# make-kpkg --revision=<revision> kernel_image
cd ..
dpkg --install kernel-image-2.4.12-<revision>.deb

double, no, triplecheck that lilo is pointing to a good kernel for the
LinuxOLD tag. Run lilo again, just to be sure. Reboot.

RTFM. YMMV. This could render your system unbootable, don't cry to me if it
does, just fix it ;>

Good luck.

glen