Re: Recognizing Kernel Update to 2.4.12

From: "eDoc" <e.net@verizon.net>

> Somewhere folks are assuming that I am taking a step that they have not
> explicitly stated and thus the creation of the critical kernel-source in
the
> necessary format in the necessary location is not happening.

No, they're just assuming you understood the docs you read.

Having built kernels in the past week, I knew for a fact that the README in
the kernel-package pretty explicitly tells you you need to unpack the
source.

It's on line 7 (excluding whitespace) of
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz and just as obvious, though further
down, in .../kernel-source-*/README.gz