ACPI, APM, hassles ...

Hello,

I've had hassles with APM, e.g. ctrl-alt-F1 being mapped to "sleep" or
turn off monitor at least, and there is no way I can figure out to get
the monitor to turn on again. A number of other things I didn't like
about APM. So I've decided to investigate other alternatives.

As ACPI is supposed to place the OS in control of power management, I
thought this can be my solution. I have compiled ACPI support into the
kernel, and installed acpid. I noticed that acpid refers to some kernel
patch that should be applied, is this still the case with e.g. 2.4.13?

Lastly, I see acpid is set up by default to detect and log the events,
and shutdown if it is a power button event. Can one do more with ACPI
yet? Has anyone had success getting ACPI to do something useful?

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe