Re: ACPI, APM, hassles ...

On Saturday, 27. October 2001 16:31, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've had hassles with APM, e.g. ctrl-alt-F1 being mapped to "sleep" or
> turn off monitor at least, and there is no way I can figure out to get
> the monitor to turn on again. A number of other things I didn't like
> about APM. So I've decided to investigate other alternatives.
>
> As ACPI is supposed to place the OS in control of power management, I
> thought this can be my solution. I have compiled ACPI support into the
> kernel, and installed acpid. I noticed that acpid refers to some kernel
> patch that should be applied, is this still the case with e.g. 2.4.13?

You don't really need the patch, since there's a workaround for the way
acpid reads from /proc/acpid/events build in the debian package.

> Lastly, I see acpid is set up by default to detect and log the events,
> and shutdown if it is a power button event. Can one do more with ACPI
> yet? Has anyone had success getting ACPI to do something useful?

In the moment acpi is not that useful like apm. Ok. You can read the battery
status etc. in much detail, but trying to suspend will not work as expected.
There are some patches to do hibernation and suspend to ram, but these
are alpha. There's also a software suspend to disk patch. I tried this, but
its not meant to be a "production" candidate.

Greetings,
-Cajus