Re: PCMCIA -- Unstable -- Kernel 2.4.12

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ - i keep mine in /usr/src.

>    What are the steps I should follow, please?

this is what i did.  ymmv.

# tar xfvz linux-whatever.tar.gz
# rm -rf linux
# ln -s linux-whatever linux
# tar xfvz pcmcia-cs-whatever.tar.gz
# ln -s pcmcia-cs-whatever pcmcia
# cd linux
# rm -rf pcmcia
# make menuconfig
... configure stuff ...
# make dep
# make bzImage
... edits for lilo / grub ...
... move /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to boot ...
... /sbin/lilo or whatever you do for grub
# make modules; make modules_install
# cd ../pcmcia
# make config
# make all
# make install
# shutdown -r now
... boot to new kernel ...

for my set up, i was /never/ able to get any 2.4.x kernel to compile with
the "built-in" pcmcia stuff.  they crapped out /every single time/.  so, i
just delete the pcmcia directory and go with the pcmcia-cs stuff.  it's
worked well on both of my laptops.

i'm sorry that i can't help you with grub.  i don't have any experience
with it.  hopes this helps.  its nothing but a scaled down version of the
forest you're toting around, i'm sure.
--