console settings for euro/german keyboard

Hi, I just updated from potato to woody. kernel is 2.4.10.

I installed console-tools and console-data.

load keymap from /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz$

croat.kmap.gz                         mac-usb-de-latin1.kmap.gz
cz-us-qwertz.kmap.gz                  mac-usb-de_CH.kmap.gz
de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz          sg-latin1-lk450.kmap.gz
de-latin1.kmap.gz                     sg-latin1.kmap.gz
de.kmap.gz                            sg.kmap.gz
fr_CH-latin1.kmap.gz                  sk-prog-qwertz.kmap.gz
fr_CH.kmap.gz                         sk-qwertz.kmap.gz
hu.kmap.gz                            slovene.kmap.gz
mac-usb-de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz  sr.kmap.gz

gives these possibilities, but loading

$ loadkeys -v de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz

still gives me not the ü,ä,ö 's at the console itself (works e.g. for vim
and pine).

How to set this, to make it work under console (and xterm)

thanks
Michael

   Linux is user friendly, it's just a bit picky about it's friends....

   Michael Hothorn
   Institute for Clinical Radiology
   University of Heidelberg
   Tel: 0049(0)621 383 2276