Re: Upgrading Progeny to Unstable

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:29:24PM -0400, Doc - KD4E wrote:
> I am trying the comand (see below) sequence just to see if it works
> better than the Progeny->Woody version that repeatedly fails to
> support pcmcia on my laptop.
> # apt-get update
> # dpkg --purge --force-deps libfreetype6
> # apt-get -f dist-upgrade

Personally, I've had a lot better luck only selectively
upgrading packages (and the pkgs they depend on) to unstable.
Why subject your whole system to the very latest and riskiest
when only a few packages change quickly enough to warrant the
risk.  My laptop runs X and pcmcia unstable since X 4.x.x has
better apm and neomagic handling and I have ethernet cards
that don't work under old pcmcia packages.  But the rest of my
system comes from stable.