Wireless ethernet problems

Alrighty, I'm not sure if this is a laptop problem, a wireless problem, or a
debian problem, so I'm going to throw it out and see what happens.

My local college has Orinoco wireless ethernet cards.  They all work on the
network.  I have an AVAYA, which I got working thanks to the help from
people on this list.

However, the AVAYA will light up for the antenna, but using debians pump
utility will NOT log onto the network.  The tech people say using an Orinoco
card (any orinoco, they haven't tried to push the ones at the college in
particular) will solve the problem but I'm not sure why.  I also don't have
the cash to drop on a second wireless ethernet card, and I'm sure that the
brand alone wouldn't be the problem.  Any tips?

Thanks,
Josh Knarr