EtherJet on ThinkPad doesn't work with Potato

Greetings,

We're trying to install Potato (R0, I think) on a ThinkPad T22 with no onboard ethernet, so we got it with a "network card" which turned out to be an IBM EtherJet 10/100.

Installation goes fine through configuring the network. For PCMCIA support, we chose the Intel-compatible option (it's got a TI PCI-1450 controller); I think this was correct because after that step: /proc/pci reported an unknown ethernet controller on bus 2, and the tulip_cb module is auto-loaded (this is supposed to be the right module for this card according to a number of linux laptop sites). The module is also removed when the card is ejected, and re-loaded when inserted again. And the blinking lights and nonzero RX packets, TX packets (following a ping attempt) and collisions reported by ifconfig seem to indicate that the card is interacting with the network.

So, here's the problem: pings are not answered, and "route" or "ifconfig eth0 stop" in tty2 don't do anything. They just sit there, but ctrl-C does successfully kill them. "route -n" works, and nothing unusual is there; pinging 127.0.0.1 or the machine's own IP address works fine.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I haven't tried sniffing yet, will that help and how can I do that?

Thanks,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>