Best network card for network install?

Gee, this sure seems like an FAQ, and I apologize for asking it
again. But I've been trying to install 2.2r3 via a network install for
two days now, and I haven't made any progress at all.

I can't seem to get any of my linksys cards recognized at the point of
the install where you have to specify modules to load. I have both a
PCMPC200 V2 and an EC2T, the former of which uses the newer tulip
driver and the latter uses pcnet_cs. Both cards are recognized after
boot through cardctl ident, but no interface is ever defined for them,
and I can't seem to get past this. The error that gets printed during
the install says something about the specific module I'm loading being
busy, probably due to a bad IO address or IRQ.

My best effort at making this work was to grab the newest tulip.c,
grab a bunch of deb packages, including the compiler, newest pcmcia_cs
source, kernel_headers, etc, and build tulip.o. I ran depmod -a, put
the proper stuff into /etc/pcmcia/config, and still couldn't get
anything to work.

Are there different and better network cards to use for a laptop
install? Has anyone ever gotten a laptop network install to work,
either with either of these linksys cards, or *any* PCMCIA card???

I searched through the archives and found one person who said that
they were having similar problems at the same place in the install,
and they avoided it by initializing PCMCIA. How can this be done
during install?

Sorry for asking so many questions, and I should probably just order
the CDs :( This has become something of a quest, though...

Thanks in advance, and I promise to write up and post any success that
I have to share this information with future debian newbies :)

bab

--
Brian Button            bbutton@objectmentor.com
Senior Consultant       Object Mentor, Inc