Re: /usr/src/modules

Hubert Chan wrote:

"Tom" == Tom Allison <tallison1@twmi.rr.com> writes:

Tom> I made a mistake.  I deleted /usr/src/modules Now it seems that I
Tom> can't do anything to recreate the file necessary to be able to
Tom> compile the pcmcia-source.  I'm trying to compile the
Tom> pcmcia-cs-3.1.29 source with the 2.4.9 kernel.  What I'm running
Tom> into right now when I run 'make-kpkg modules' is /usr/src/modules -
Tom> file not found So I made a directory /usr/src/modules.

Tom> I also have /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.29 as a directory

How did you get that?

by unpacking the pcmcia-cs-3.1.29 source code from the pcmcia website (non-debian).

There should be a file in /usr/src called something like
pcmcia-cs.tar.gz (that's what it's called in sid -- potato might have
tagged a version number at the end, but I doubt it).  Then, in the
/usr/src directory, do a "tar xzvf pcmcia-cs.tar.gz".  You should be all
set now.

BTW, you might want to do your compiling as a non-root user.

There isn't a file by that name. I tried to remove and reinstall the pcmcia-cs stuff and nothing shows up in /usr/src to reflect it...

I thought once long ago I installed 3.1.22 by using the source code in /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.22 and it worked fine. But that's really not the case here.