PCMCIA Problems win IBM A20p

I cannot start the PCMCIA subsystem on my A20p:

root@sten:~# /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
Shutting down PCMCIA services:.
Starting PCMCIA services: modulesinsmod: a module named pcmcia_core already exists
/lib/modules/2.4.8-xfs/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.8-xfs/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
 cardmgr.

The odd thing is that probe finds:

root@sten:~# probe -v
PCI bridge probe: TI 1450 found, 2 sockets.

Cards work under Win98. Any ideas?
--
Dipl. Informatikingenieur ETH  Frank Petzold  <frank.petzold@trustsec.de>
               ceterum censeo parvomollem esse delendam.