2.4.9 kernel & pcmcia in Woody

Hi, y'all. I upgraded to Woody from Potato[e], it was not easy. apt-get
dist-upgrade did some of the work, but it took repeated dselect cycles,
then going through and finding things that had been "de-selected" for
me, like man-db.

When that's working, I decide to do the silly thing and update the
kernel as well, from 2.2.18pre21 (or really close to that, forgive my
memory) to 2.4.9 K6.

The 2.4.9 requires manual editing of lilo.conf to add
"initrd=/boot/initrd", but does not say where in lilo.conf to add that
line. Experience said under the particular kernel boot entry, but it's
not something a newbie would know. Since that particular kernel boot
entry is created by these scripts anyway, I think the initrd comment is
absurd to make the user perform.

But anyway, 2.4.9 K6 it is. But it does not recognize my PCMCIA system:

======================
Installing module i82365. If the device isn't there, or isn't configured
correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a minute.

/lib/modules/2.4.9-k6/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: No
such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.9-k6/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.9-k6/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.9-k6/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o: insmod i82365
failed

Installation failed.

Please press ENTER when you are ready to continue.

This is the same module name that the 2.2.18 kernel loads and runs just
fine. As far as I can tell, there's no reason it shouldn't detect the
pcmcia. Yes, I loaded pcmcia_core first.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history