Re: Killed eth0 by switching from 2.2r2 -> 2.2r3.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 07:49:33PM +0100, Rolf Heckemann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 11:01:29AM -0700, Don Werve wrote:
> [...]
> > I pulled out the new drive, replaced the old drive, booted the not-quite-right
> > OS, and was still able to ping/etc (same cable, etc.).  The network config
> > is kosher (identical to the previous setup), and I've tried building a couple
>              ^^^^^^^^^
>
> You sound very sure, but my feeling is that the problem must be with
> the setup, unless you have a hardware conflict between the new HD and
> the NIC, which would be, umm, uncommon.  Can you copy both the old
> /etc/ trees or even just /etc/pcmcia/ and /etc/network somewhere so
> you can compare them with a recursive diff?  That's how I would look
> for a solution, although I know it's painful swapping hard disks in
> and out of laptops.

I compared /etc/pcmcia/network.opts and /etc/network/interfaces, and
they were indeed identical; I'm smart enough to double-check for really
stupid mistakes. *grin*  Most of the time.  The floppy drive and serial
port work, so I can set up a PPP link and use sneakernet to transfer
files between my Orkstation and the 'top.

> > of kernels (2.2.18pre21, 2.2.19pre17, and 2.2.19) with the requisite PCMCIA
> > utilities, but nothing seems to kick the Xircom ethernet side into gear.  I've
> > checked on my workstation using "mii-diag", and it isn't detecting a link
> > either.
>
> Good luck

Thanks; I'd think that there would at least be a link-light if the network
is misconfigured.  I'm stumped on this one.

--
Don Werve (Unix Sys Admin) | Email: donw AT agentsix DOT net

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed
in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins