Killed eth0 by switching from 2.2r2 -> 2.2r3.

I have a Digital (yes, Digital *before* Compaq bought them) HiNote Ultra2000
laptop; it's a rather robust little job, with P5/266 CPU, 128M of RAM, and a
really nice 1024x768 active matrix display -- with a C&T controller that
actually works *well* under X 4.0.  Added to the list is an integrated Xircom
CM56 ethernet+modem combination PCMCIA card -- the reason for my post.

I was running the 'top under Debian 2.2r2, and all was happy and well with the
world; unfortunately, I managed to pull off one of those great mistakes as
root and hose most of the operating system beyond the point of repair (don't
ask).  As I had a spare hard drive for the 'top, I decided to re-install Debian
(this time, 2.2r3) and go about doing things the right way this time; e.g.,
installing X 4.0 for potato rather than running a mish-mash of potato, woody,
and sid at the same time.  Like I said -- I was stupid. ;)

After installing 2.2r3, the Xircom modem still works, but the ethernet
portion of things is dead.  The kernel detects it, and it shows up in the
kernel logs and in /proc/interrupts, but I can't ping out or ping in, and I'm
not seeing a LNK light on the NIC in my workstation (it's connected via a
crossover to a second ethernet card).

I pulled out the new drive, replaced the old drive, booted the not-quite-right
OS, and was still able to ping/etc (same cable, etc.).  The network config
is kosher (identical to the previous setup), and I've tried building a couple
of kernels (2.2.18pre21, 2.2.19pre17, and 2.2.19) with the requisite PCMCIA
utilities, but nothing seems to kick the Xircom ethernet side into gear.  I've
checked on my workstation using "mii-diag", and it isn't detecting a link
either.

Any ideas?

--
Don Werve (Unix Sys Admin) | Email: donw AT agentsix DOT net

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed
in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins