Re: pcmcia-cs and configuring network...

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 05:03:12PM +0200, Chris Halls wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 12:09:11AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > The thing I'd find autodetection useful for is shuffling /etc/exim.conf
> > around, one configuration for dialup (setting the ISP's SMTP server as
> > mailserver, to avoid rejection from spam-preventing recipients, which reject
> > mail from dial-up sources) and one for LAN ethernet, allowing a direct SMTP
> > connection (i.e. using exim itself as the mail server).
> >
> > Is this the sort of situation these network detection programs are designed
> > for?
>
> Yes, whereami will reconfigure your mail server for one of three modes:
>  - queue only, for disconnected / dialup operation with a smtp server to
>    relay to when the queue is flushed
>  - relay mode, to deliver mail to a relay immediately on receipt of new
>    messages
>  - none, for when you have a direct internet connection and wish the mail
>    server to do the deliveries itself.

Sounds useful then.  I should have a closer look :)

> Andrew did the sendmail support and I did the postfix support.  I'm
> prepared to do exim support too if there is demand for it.

I would think it'd be a worthwhile endeavour, since exim is the default
mailserver on Debian systems.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A