Re: pcmcia-cs and configuring network...

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 11:13:33PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> There are several packages in Debian currently which attempt to figure out
> which network you are own and configure your ethernet device accordingly.  I
> know intuitively and I think thje other is discover.  There is at least two
> more.

I also noticed that pcmcia scripts now look at /etc/network/interfaces
by default. I will experiment some more to find out why this didn't seem
to work right yesterday. It did work when I tried it now, maybe it has
something to do with my current ordering of configuration scripts on
bootup...

(discover is a hardware detection system. Don't think it does network
environment detection too... I know there are others, also don't
remember what they are.)

I guess these are all for detecting one of a number of preconfigured
network settings? Thanks, I may try some more of these on my laptop, but
for this little project the network environment is completely unknown.
Having pcmcia look at /etc/network/interfaces is the "right" solution in
this case.

Hugo van der Merwe

--
To send me private (non-world-readable) mail, GPG encrypt it.
1024D/60715698: 5F2E 8EC2 E0A4 5D25 0569  F281 4A6C D76D 6071 5698