Re: pcmcia-cs and configuring network...

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 12:09:11AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:55:30PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > `whereami', which is a suite to detect and configure the network.
> > Probably requires a little more scripting knowledge than some of the
> > others, though.
> >

> I'm perfectly happy to use "cardctl scheme" and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts to
> switch between networks.

You can use whereami like this too.  'whereami newLocation' will carry out
configuration modifications for newLocation without doing any of the
network detection tests.

> The thing I'd find autodetection useful for is shuffling /etc/exim.conf
> around, one configuration for dialup (setting the ISP's SMTP server as
> mailserver, to avoid rejection from spam-preventing recipients, which reject
> mail from dial-up sources) and one for LAN ethernet, allowing a direct SMTP
> connection (i.e. using exim itself as the mail server).
>
> Is this the sort of situation these network detection programs are designed
> for?

Yes, whereami will reconfigure your mail server for one of three modes:
 - queue only, for disconnected / dialup operation with a smtp server to
   relay to when the queue is flushed
 - relay mode, to deliver mail to a relay immediately on receipt of new
   messages
 - none, for when you have a direct internet connection and wish the mail
   server to do the deliveries itself.

Andrew did the sendmail support and I did the postfix support.  I'm
prepared to do exim support too if there is demand for it.

Chris