Re: Kernal Image

Hi Eric

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 01:29:16PM -0400, Eric Borton wrote:
> After the make bzimage command (for those familiar with the process) I was
> not able to see the file bzImage in the
> /usr/src/kernel-2.4.4-source/.../i386/boot/ folder.
Well, you were looking in the right place.  I'm not sure why you didn't
find anything there.  Maybe a problem during the compile?

> The how-to states a
> linux folder in the src folder but for some reason it created the
> kernel-2.4.4-source folder.
There's no problem there.  It doesn't matter, actually, what the name of
the directory is where you build the kernel.  In fact, it is often
recommended not to use /usr/src as the build directory, because those
headers should be the same as the headers used to build the libc you have.
You have kernel-2.4.4-source because that is how the debian kernel source
package is built to unpack to.

> Anyway, I was expecting to see the bzImage but
> did not because I needed this to show lilo where to boot the 2.4.4 kernel or
> at least move the file to the /boot folder to have lilo get to it.  Also, I
> ran bzdisk.  Does this erase the bzImage and put it onto the disk and that
> is the reason I can not find the file?
I don't think the image is erased normally.  Sounds a bit strange.

>I am new at the compiling but I was
> happy I could get the kernel to boot from the disk.  Thanks for any help.

Since you are using debian, why don't you take advantage of the kernel
building tool make-kpkg?  The build and install process turns into:

1. cd kernel-source-2.4.4
2. make-kpkg --revision yourkernel.1.0 binary_image
3. dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.4.4_yourkernel.1.0_i386.deb
4. Answer the questions whether to install the kernel using lilo and/or make
   a boot disk

Much easier!

Chris