IR success!(was info: fixed irda-common upgrade to woody)

Well I was able to get the printer (a BJC-80) working with the Linux IRDA
stack. I think it had something to do with my kernel configuration. I was
using the 2.4.8 kernel with the entire IRDA stack modularized. After the
successful installation of the irda-common and irda-tools packages, the
output of my irdadump and ifconfig only showed tx packets. Over the
weekend, I configured the 2.4.9 kernel with CONFIG_IRDA built in and
modularized all the drivers. (IRCOMM, IRTTY, IRCOMM-TTY, etc, etc) This
seemed to do the trick. The IR stack found my printer (and phone) with no
problems and I was able to configure the printer using apsfilterconfig
(serial, /dev/ircomm0 , 115200) . It did slow my internet connection way
down - I found out it was sharing IRQ 3 w/ the PC modem. Reinserting the
modem assigned IRQ 9 to it and everybody was happy.

My system is a Dell Inspiron 7000D. I set the BIOS to SIR (it was set to
FIR - this seems to be why the printer's IR port didn't work in Windows,
either)

Andy