Re: wooky->potato

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Tom Allison wrote:

> CaT wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 03:04:28PM +0100, Vivek wrote:
> >
> >>Er. I just added the woody lines to my sources.list and did an
> >>
> >>apt-get update
> >>apt-get dist-upgrade
[cut]
> Maybe I have a dumb question.
> After you change the sources.list from 'stable' to 'testing'
> are you supposed to run apt-get upgrade first or apt-get dist-upgrade?
> I've always thought it was apt-get dist-upgrade..
> Is that right?

That's apt-get update, not upgrade. 'update' tells apt to fetch the
up-to-date package lists from/for the specified sources. 'dist-upgrade' is
similar to upgrade, except that it's a lot more aggressive about installing
extra dependencies and stuff, given that it know it has to upgrade across a
whole distribution.

--
"He was too young to be taken from us."
             'You were the one who cut him in half with a chainsaw, dude.'