Re: pcmcia-cs and configuring network...

On Mon, 2001-09-10 at 22:35, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:

> (discover is a hardware detection system. Don't think it does network
> environment detection too... I know there are others, also don't
> remember what they are.)

divine does network environment detection, as does intuitively.  I
maintain 'whereami' which tries to combine these sorts of things
together under one roof.

> I guess these are all for detecting one of a number of preconfigured
> network settings? Thanks, I may try some more of these on my laptop, but
> for this little project the network environment is completely unknown.
> Having pcmcia look at /etc/network/interfaces is the "right" solution in
> this case.

Well, the only thing I know that really does a lot of configuring based
on information supplied externally to your laptop is DHCP.  In fact in
many cases DHCP may be underutilised, since it can hand out all sorts of
information.  Most DHCP servers just hand out the IP address, default
gateway and nameserver(s) and leave it at that.

If by 'completely unknown' you mean even DHCP is not supplied and you
have to enter some parameters at boot time then I think your requirement
is sufficiently off the wall to be outside most of the existing stuff.

If you want to talk a little more privately then I could look at adding
some functionality to 'whereami' to support your case a little better.

Regards,
						Andrew.

        Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew @ catalyst . net . nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64(21)635-694,  Fax:+64(4)499-5596, Office: +64(4)499-2267xtn709