-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Allison [mailto:tallison1@twmi.rr.com]
<snip>
Has anyone else been finding upgrades to woody getting better or harder?

Here's what I did that worked.
replaced 'stable' with 'testing' in the sources.list.
ran the following on command line:
'while true; do apt-get -y dist-select; sleep 30; done'

Eventually it got stupid, I broke the code and ran
'dpkg --configure -a;apt-get -f install'
to clean things up and restarted my 'while true...' loop.
Eventually ( >2 hours) it reached the point where there was nothing more to do. I started 'dselect' and worked it from there, putting bad behaving packages on hold immediately. After a few installs, I started to release these held packages a few at a time and installing them.
About 6 loops later on, dselect didn't have any complaints about anything.
I've since been adding/removing packages with no problem.