RE: Woody - PCMCIA Ethernet

On 08-Sep-2001 aeleblanc@olgc.on.ca wrote:
> I posted a problem with my laptop this morning and I think I have found a
> related article posted to this list before.  but the solution seems pretty
> much greek to me.  can anyone help me out?  the article is here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2001/debian-laptop-200108/msg00316.html

easy enough (-:

cardctl decides what driver to insert based on the config files in /etc/pcmcia.
 Each card when inserted can be queryed for this info.  carctl then matches it
versus the config database and installs the driver that matches.  Sometimes the
vendor changes internal hardware without notice.  So cardctl may misidentify
your card.

So, let's look at /etc/pcmcia/config.  Look in /var/log/syslog or /var/log
daemon.log and you will see lines like 'socket 0: NE2000 Compatible Fast
Ethernet' 'executing modprobe pcnet_cs'.  This tells you what it thinks the card
is and what it loaded.  Also cardctl ident will give you:

Socket 0:
  product info: "NETGEAR", "FA410TX", "Fast Ethernet"
  manfid: 0x0149, 0x0230
  function: 6 (network)

this is the data returned by the card query -- no reading of config files
occurs.

Cross referencing to /etc/pcmcia/config for my card I find:

card "NE2000 Compatible Fast Ethernet"
  manfid 0x0149, 0x0230
  bind "pcnet_cs"

This says when you find a matching manfid call it the value of card and
modprobe the driver referenced in the bind option.

Hope that helps.