Re: Very Selective upgrade

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 11:55:00AM +0200, Imran Geriskovan wrote:
> Now I have debian machine installed by using the "testing"
> branch 50 days ago. Now I want to upgrade/install some packages.
> In dselect I choose the update option (using method apt).
> Now the select says that it will going to upgrade nearly all of the
> packages. In 50 days I've done alot of customization
> on that machine and I do not want to ugrade most of them.

Well, upgrading is unlikely to affect your customization, but...

> Meanwhile I'm quite satisfied with the system.
> And I have no intention for such a big upgrade.

..if you simply don't feel like the upgrade, I can understand that.

> However currently (and sadly) I can not use dselect for
> automatic installion of other packages with all their dependent ones
> because choosing "Install" will upgrade rest of the system.
>
> Hence I have no option :( other than manually downloading and
> installing new packages with all others that the packages depends on. :(

Ah, but you do!  At least two options!

On the one hand, you can simply use apt-get directly

apt-get install foo

will install foo and upgrade anything it *must* upgrade, because of
dependencies, but not anything else.

> Is it be possible to "freeze" some packages on a machine
> an make them immune to later updates/installations?

Yes, that's also possible.  It's called "hold" and the keybinding in
dselect is '='.

Jules