2.4.7 kernel problem

Hi,

I use the unstable distribution on a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop. The recompiled
2.4.7 kernel doesn't work. At the boot time it can't mount the root file
system and the booting process stops with the following message:

request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or 03:06
Plese append a correct "root=" boot option

My root device is the hda6. I can boot only with the precompiled kernel packages

the debian distribution and an old 2.4.5 kernel which was compiled few weeks ago.

Regards,
 Zoltan