Re: Installing problems on a Inspiron 8000

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 00:47, Jörgen Andersson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried installing debian from a cd. After gone through the installing
> process pc hangs when I reboot it. It says something like "Loading
> superinternet  : inetd"
>
> I'm kind of a newbie on this so I would be greatful for any help.
>
> regards
> /Jörgen

It's not inetd.  It's PCMCIA.  I had the same problem installing on my I8000.
The problem is that the PCMCIA script is still processing while the system is
one that appears.  That one got me for a bit too, till I remembered that I
had read about PCMCIA problems with the I8000 and slightly old versions of
PCMCIA.

To fix it, you'll need to log in with your rescue floppy or something
similar, mount your root partition, do something like 'mv /etc/init.d/pcmcia
/etc/init.d/pcmcia.bak' for a temporary workaround.  Then you can finish your
debian installation normally.   After the installation is finished you can
fix PCMCIA.  Even the latest debs in unstable don't work, but if you download
the source and compile the PCMCIA modules and utils yourself, they work fine
and PCMCIA will work once again.   Good luck.

(P.S. - if you're going to be running X, that's an interesting battle in
itself with this machine.  but once you get it working it's a beautiful thing
on the 15'' 1400x1050 LCD.   Especially if you have the nvidia go card.
Email me if you need a modeline.)

--
D. Todd Klassen
dtklassen@home.com