Re: Perl-DBI

Tom.....

> Does the standard installation of Perl with debian 2.2 come with
> DBI such that I can use it again either Postgres and/or Oracle
> databases?
> Or is this some other package I need to get?

I'm not sure what the 'standard' installation has, but you will need the
database package, the perl package, the dbi package, and the database
driver package for whatever database you are working with (there are
separate packages for each, i.e. postgreSQL dbd, mySQL dbd, probably
Oracle dbd (I'm not running Oracle).

You may need another that I'm forgetting.  Goto the list of available
packages and search it for postgresql, for instance, and see.

Also, Debian stable is running version 6.5.3 of postgreSQL but unstable is
running 7.1.2.

You will have it easier if you can stick with stable using apt-get, I'm
using unstable at the moment and sometimes when I update and upgrade my
software it'll stop working and I have to play to get it going again.
That's the part of unstable that is unstable.  When I ran stable it always
installed fine.

I should have taken Heather's advice and figured out how to compile the
source of the unstable version of postgreSQL onto the stable version of
Debian but, live and learn.......

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
     Check out my Musician's Online Database Exchange (The MODE Pages)
                        http://www.TheMode.com