Re: Perl-DBI

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, tom wrote:

> simple question, I think.
> Does the standard installation of Perl with debian 2.2 come with
> DBI such that I can use it again either Postgres and/or Oracle
> databases?
> Or is this some other package I need to get?

DBI is in the package libdbi-perl -

as to the database specific [DBD] driver there are 4 packages which may be
of interest to you:

  libdbd-csv-perl
  libdbd-msql-perl
  libdbd-mysql-perl
  libdbd-pg-perl

Or you can just go and get them from CPAN, if there isn't a package - the
usual perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install; thing should work
just fine. You'll need the client libraries for the relevant database,
there should be postgresql, mysql and msql packages, the rest you'll have
to get from the vendor if you need them.

I currently have sybase, oracle, mysql and postgresql DBI stuff set up,
so those are easiest for me to answer questions about, and I can look at
DB2 if necessary...

> I'm rather new to perl and somewhat old to databases in general.
> I don't want to make a mistake on this one as Perl kind of does a
> lot on these distro's

You should be able to reinstall the perl package if things get really
b0rked, I wouldn't worry too much.

--
Manual? We've just been pushing buttons til it works...