Re: How to use touch pad and mouse?

--- Daniel E Baumann <baumannd@msoe.edu> wrote:

> Does this handle mice with different protocols, because I too have the
> BIOS option,
> but usually I like to have the touchpad disabled when I have my external
> 3-button
> wireless wheel mouse plugged in. The thing is my touchpad is just a
> plain PS/2 mouse
> and my external mouses uses ImPS/2 protocol. Now I have 2 XF86Config
> files that I
> switch back and forth from and my wireless does work with plain PS/2,
> but then I get
> no wheel.  So the point is is it possible to configure X (and/or gpm) to
> be able to
> use one or the other without having to switch XF86Config files and
> restart X (I
> actually have a little script that changes my XF86Config-4 symlink to
> either
> XF86Config-4.touchpad or XF86Config-4.wireless)?

Well... the names of the config files you use make me belive that you use
XFree 4.x. Am I right?

In fact, the solution I described was based on my experience, that is
XFree 3.3.6. In this case, it is possible to use different protocols for
the different input devices. On my laptop, gpm reads /dev/psaux using the
PS/2 protocol (-t ps2) and repeats it using the MS-3buttons (-Rms3) to
/dev/gpmdata. XFree then reads /dev/gpmdata using the ms3 protocol (as
configured in the "Pointer" section). At the same time, XFree reads
/dev/input/mice using the Imwheel-PS/2 protocol (IMPS2, as configured in
the "XInput" section, "Mouse" sub-section). This mix of protocols is the
real reason why I use my external mouse as an USB device (there is an
USB->PS/2 adapter with the mouse).

The same solution is not directly usable with XFree 4, but I saw a few
weeks ago on `debian-french' that the solution exists. The subject was
about using 2 keyboards, but an example (for XF 3.3 and XF 4) was given
for 2 mice : http://lists.debian.org/debian-french-0103/msg01232.html
This would be much easier to use than switching from one config file to
another!

    Francois.

=====
Francois BOTTIN
--
    "How kind," the PFY sighs. "But where will I go?"
    "Somewhere where they know nothing about computing...