Re: How to use touch pad and mouse?

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 01:55:01AM -0700, Francois BOTTIN wrote:

> --- Giuseppe Sacco <eppesuigoccas@libero.it> wrote:
> > I have a touchpad (ps2) and an external USB mouse.
> > I use both mice at the same time using the -M option for pgm. I also
> > set up X to get the mouse data from gpm.
> >
> > It works.
> >
> > Previously I had ps2 external mouse that was disabling the internal
> > touchpad.
> >
> > Bye,
> > Giuseppe
> >
> I have also a PS/2 touchpad and an external USB mouse. Formerly I also
> used the -M option for gpm, but the third mouse button/wheel was not
> recognized (i.e. inactive) or the third button emulation was not working
> on the touchpad (only 2 buttons there) depending of the options I choose.
>
> I worked around that by configuring gpm to use the touchpad only (I can
> cope without the mouse on the console...) and the "pointer" section of X
> to /dev/gpmdata. I then added the USB mouse (/dev/input/mice) to the
> "XInput" section, "Mouse" sub-section.

Does this handle mice with different protocols, because I too have the BIOS option,
but usually I like to have the touchpad disabled when I have my external 3-button
wireless wheel mouse plugged in. The thing is my touchpad is just a plain PS/2 mouse
and my external mouses uses ImPS/2 protocol. Now I have 2 XF86Config files that I
switch back and forth from and my wireless does work with plain PS/2, but then I get
no wheel.  So the point is is it possible to configure X (and/or gpm) to be able to
use one or the other without having to switch XF86Config files and restart X (I
actually have a little script that changes my XF86Config-4 symlink to either
XF86Config-4.touchpad or XF86Config-4.wireless)?

Dan
--
Daniel E Baumann       baumannd@msoe.edu
Web location:          http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd

And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use
copyleft all the same.
      -- RMS