Re: Potato on a PORTA-PC P5-486/B&W

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 06:02:50PM +0100, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 05:46:31PM +0100, Dieter Faulbaum wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I try to install a 2.2-system on such a laptop (a 486DX2 with 8MB
> > memory) but get thesh error messages after loading the root.bin
> > disc (the last lines several times):
> >
> > Freeing unused kernel memory: 148K freed
> > VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd
> >

> > Can anyone tell me what can be wrong? I use the rescue.bin disc from
> > safe. Are 8MB not enough for this version?
> I'm pretty damn sure that this is only a debug message left over.
> I had this, too, with certain 2.2.x kernels.
>
> AFAICT this is only informative, not critical.
>
> But OTOH ICBW :-)

 Translation for non-acronym-speakers:
AFAICT = as far as I can tell
OTOH = on the other hand
ICBW = I could be wrong.

 I think it's a problem if you see "do_try_to_free_pages failed".  The
kernel may even have killed off its own kswapd when that happened.  Try
installing with the compact or the idepci images.  They have less stuff
compiled in, so they're more likely to not run out of memory before you can
set up a swap partition.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y