Re: Badiane: make-kpkg PCMCIA conflict

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:30:44AM -0800, Badiane Ka wrote:
> I have created a deb package with make-kpkg and upon
> executing dpkg -i I get a message saying that there is
> conflict between my custom 2.2.18pre1 image and
> pcmcia.  How do I compile, install and get a kernel to
> run under debian without running into a bunch of
> module problems.  I would like to be able to upgrade
> my system without having all of these problems.  If
> there is literature about this problem please point me
> in that direction and I will follow.

I don't think this is a serious problem.  It's probably just a version
conflict, coming from pcmcia-modules depending on a particular version of
the kernel.

At worst you can just uninstall pcmcia-modules (and maybe pcmcia-cs).  Then
you can upgrade the new kernel and you should get no problems then.  After
that you can reinstall pcmcia-modules and pcmcia-cs.

Note, you probably want to keep a copy of the deb file for pcmcia-cs, since
once it's uninstalled you won't be able to download it again with apt-get
(your network will be gone!).  If you've recently downloaded it but can't
find it, try looking in /var/cache/apt/archives/.  I presume you created the
deb file for pcmcia-modules yourself with make-kpkg modules_image.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A