Re: Badiane: make-kpkg PCMCIA conflict

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 04:52:54PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:44:47AM -0800, Francois BOTTIN wrote:
> >
> > --- Badiane Ka <badianedebian@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I have created a deb package with make-kpkg and upon
> > > executing dpkg -i I get a message saying that there is
> > > conflict between my custom 2.2.18pre1 image and
> > > pcmcia.  How do I compile, install and get a kernel to
> > > run under debian without running into a bunch of
> > > module problems.  I would like to be able to upgrade
> > > my system without having all of these problems.  If
> > > there is literature about this problem please point me
> > > in that direction and I will follow.
> > >
> > > Badiane
> > >
> > I don't know if there is any documentation about that, but what I do is:
> > - remove the kernel and pcmcia packages that are in use (yes, there's a
> > warning saying that it's dangerous to remove a running kernel's
> > package...)
> > - install the new kernel package, and then the pcmcia one.
> >
> > Simply, do not try rebooting between the two stages...
>
>  You might want to copy your vmlinuz in case of accidents.  It's a
> bad idea to ever have no kernels on your machine.  At least make sure you
> have a boot disk.
>
> --
> #define X(x,y) x##y
> Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@llama.nslug. , ns.ca)
>
> "The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
>  Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack
>  my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BCE

Here's what I do and it works perfectly every time, with 2.2.18:

- Install the kernel source and pcmcia source and configure the kernel
- compile the kernel  # make-kpkg kernel_image
- compile the modules # make-kpkg modules_image
  - this makes a deb of the pcmcia modules associated with this kernel deb
- install the kernel  # dpkg -i kernel_image.deb
  - I've already got my system setup to boot to multiple kernels with lilo
  - I verify that the vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old links are set properly
  - I update my boot message file and rerun lilo to make sure all is good
- install the modules # dpkg -i pcmcia_image.deb
  - this puts the pcmcia modules in the /lib/modules/2.2.18-# directory.
- reboot and pick the new kernel at the lilo prompt