X setup roadblock

I'm setting up an X server on a VAIO PictureBook and not for the first time I
might add.  The only modeline value for this machine is 1024x480.  On xinit I
get a Fatal servor error: No valid modes found.  Tracing back up the display
I find the SVGA server has removed that mode claiming it won't display
properly on LCD (strange as it's worked fine before) .  Where do I go now?
Is there an incantation I can place in the XF86Config to get around this or
go to another rev of the server?

Paul