Re: Losing interrupts

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 11:53:05PM +0100, Mikael Cardell wrote:
> After I upgraded my Thinkpad 570 to Linux 2.4.0 I started noticing
> that it complained about losing interrupts and that the HDD wouldn't
> spin up after suspend one time in 10 or so. It's very irritating and
> means I have to reboot to get the HDD spinning again. If I revert to a
> 2.2.x kernel, this never happens.
>
> I'm guessing it has something to do with the APM support and I've
> tried different configurations, like allowing or disallowing
> interrupts during calls to the APM BIOS, but to no avail. I will check
> again with a 2.4.2 kernel as soon as I get back on a fatter pipe (I'm
> at home trying to fight the flu right now), and I hope that will fix
> things.
>
> Has anyone else had any similar problems?

 Yes.  I've seen this on my AST 810N.  I don't use my laptop a very much (I
will more once I get the NIC working and get stuff transfered to a new
HD...).  When I have used it, I've had problems with this sometimes.  IIRC,
having apmd _not_ running let it spin down the driver without problems.
I used  hdparm -S96 /dev/hda  to set the spin-down time on my drive.  I
don't remember what I figured out about it, and whether the kernel will spin
down the drive when it's ready or what.

 You said it only happens one time in 10 for you.  I had it happening every
time, or never, depending on how I set stuff up, IIRC.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y